Have you ever wondered why you have a belly button? Or how a baby gets its food in the womb? If so, then you should make sure you go to ‘Before You were Born’, a free, family-friendly event that delves into the world of life within the womb!
Taking place on Saturday 2nd September 2017 between 3 pm and 5 pm at the Manchester Central Convention Complex, Before You Were Born is an exploration of the amazing research being carried out by the Maternal and Fetal Health Research Centre at The University of Manchester. With a focus on the placenta (the organ that connects a mother to her baby during pregnancy), come along and delve into the world of life before you were born.
Before You Were Born will give you the chance to see: how the placenta helps a baby grow and develop; what can happen if that goes wrong; and how the ground-breaking research being carried out in Manchester, and across the rest of the world, is helping to ensure more babies are surviving and living healthy lives.
Designed for all the family, Before You Were Born is filled to the brim with things to do, see and learn. There will be:
- A treasure hunt, where you will weave your way around the different activities to collect stickers and learn fun facts about how the placenta provides everything a baby needs.
- Arts and craft for adults and children alike, enabling you to explore your creative side!
- An exploration into the world of a pregnancy clinic. Midwives from St Mary’s Hospital will take you through what it is like to work in a pregnancy clinic.
- Lots of interactive activities exploring how the placenta works.
- Mini experiments, where children can dress up in lab coats and have a go at being a scientist for the afternoon.
- A Meet the Scientists session, where you’ll be able to meet some real-life scientists, and learn about their research! With only three minutes each to wow you, they’ll have to be quick!
- A photography exhibition, showcasing beautiful shots of the placenta as you have never seen it before (all child friendly).
- A sculpture and drawing exhibition by artist Adinda van’t Klooster.
Register for your free tickets
To register for your free tickets, please click the following link: http://bywb.eventbrite.co.uk.
About the event organisers
Before You Were Born is hosted by the Maternal and Fetal Research Centre at The University of Manchester, in partnership with the Public Programmes Team at the Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, as part of the International Federation of Placenta Associations (IFPA) Annual Conference taking place between Wednesday 30th August 2017 and Saturday 2nd September 2017.